Introduction to Data Science is an optional module for Year 1 and Year 2 undergraduate students of Physics and Astronomy taught in Semester 2 (i.e. February-May). I co-teach this module with my colleague Marco Gersabeck.
- To introduce basics of statistical methods and modern-day advanced data analysis techniques, as required in all fields working with data.
- To deepen the understanding of how data analysis works for small and large data samples.
- To obtain a comprehensive set of tools to analyse data.
- Probabilities and interpretations
- Probability distributions
- Parameter estimation
- Maximum likelihood
- Least square, chi2, correlations
- Monte Carlo basics
- Goodness of fit tests
- Hypothesis testing
- Probability and confidence level
- Limit setting
- Introduction to multivariate analysis techniques
Github repository with the lecture notes.
NBViewer rendering of the lecture notes.